Equatorial Guinea

From Camopedia
Jump to: navigation, search



Republic of Ecuatorial Guinea

The Republic of Equatorial Guinea (República de Guinea Ecuatorial) was formerly known as Spanish Guinea. Originally inhabited by indigenous Pygmy tribes, the region saw an influx of migrating Bantu-speaking people between the 17th and 19th centuries. The island of Bioko off the coast was claimed by Portugal in 1472, and later most of the coastal areas of present day Guinea. Under the terms of the Treaty of El Pardo in 1778, the territory was ceded to Spain, who administered it through the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata. Briefly occupied by Great Britain from 1827 to 1843, the region was restored as Spanish territory in 1844; it became a Spanish protectorate in 1885, and a colony in 1900. Between 1926 and 1968, the country was officially named Spanish Guinea.

In September 1968, Francisco Macías Nguema was elected as the first president of Equatorial Guinea, and independence was recognised on October 12, 1968. In July 1970, Nguema created a single-party state, resulting in a reign of terror that led to the death or exile of up to one-third of the country's population (80,000 out of a total population of 300,000). Nguema was deposed on August 3, 1979, in a bloody coup d'état.

The Fuerzas Armadas de Guinea Ecuatorial are the armed forces of Equatorial Guinea, consisting of the Army, Navy and Air Wing, with approximately 1300 active duty personnel. A Gendarmerie and National Police force are tasked with internal security and law enforcement respectively. A Presidential Guard of approximately 350 personnel is comprised primarily of Moroccans.

Camouflage Patterns of Equatorial Guinea

  • The Army wear a Chinese copy of the French lizard pattern, commonly found in West Africa.


  • Navy personnel wear a lizard variant pattern using the same drawings but having a blue colorway.